AQW 33336/22-27 Written question to the Minister for Infrastructure
To ask the Minister for Infrastructure for an updated timeframe for the ongoing closure of Bann Bridge, Kilrea.
Asked by Sian Mulholland MLA on 10 October 2025
- Answered
- Written
- After due date
- Tabled
- 10 October 2025
- Answer due by
- 27 October 2025
- Answered
- 6 November 202527 days after tabling
- Department
- Department for Infrastructure
- Priority question
- No
Answer
I fully appreciate the impact of the closure and the understandable frustration of the local community, including businesses in the area and I apologise for the inconvenience caused. My Department is working at pace to develop a temporary solution which will allow the bridge to be reopened as soon as possible.
Since the closure on 20 September, my Department has completed ground investigation, a detailed design, and issued a tender package. I can confirm that the procurement of a specialist contractor is underway with the aim of starting repairs as soon as possible. I expect to be in a position shortly to confirm the timeline for both the repair works and the reopening of Kilrea Bridge.
To keep the public updated on progress a dedicated webpage for Kilrea Bridge has been created on the Department’s website that can be found at Kilrea Bridge, B64 Bann Road, Kilrea – Closure | Department for Infrastructure. This page will be regularly updated as further information becomes available.