AQO 3807/22-27 Oral question to the Minister of Health
To ask the Minister of Health to outline any assessment that has been made of the role and capacity of social workers in delivering safeguarding, early intervention and family support services.
Asked by Sian Mulholland MLA on 18 June 2026
- Answered
- Oral
- Answered in the Chamber
- Tabled
- 18 June 2026
- Answer due by
- 29 June 2026
- Answered
- 29 June 202611 days after tabling
- Department
- Department of Health
- Priority question
- No
Answer
Answered in the Assembly Chamber on 29 June 2026. Extract from the Official Report (Hansard), including any supplementary questions:
Mr Nesbitt
The role played by social workers in delivering safeguarding and family support interventions is complex and challenging. The work frequently pivots on multidisciplinary collaboration, with parents and carers positioned as partners in the formulation and delivery of safeguarding and support plans. Their work ensures that concerns are identified early; that interventions are proportionate and specifically focused on identified need; and that a correct balance is struck between respecting the role of parents and ensuring that children are protected from harm. The independent review of children's social care services led by Professor Ray Jones reinforced our understanding of the wider systemic and structural challenges faced by social workers and other professionals working in the area. Twenty-five of the review recommendations are being progressed by the reform programme, including recommendations to improve support for families at an earlier stage as an alternative to high levels of protection activity by the trusts.
Ms Mulholland
Thank you, Minister. I am glad to hear you say that the role played by social workers is "complex and challenging". From what I hear from those who have contacted me, social workers are stretched to capacity. What is the Department doing to address that? Will you take the opportunity to refute your party leader's assertion that social work, in this context, is about a:
That was exceptionally hurtful to a lot of social workers who got in contact with me.
Mr Nesbitt
I assure the Member that I very much value the work of social care workers, social workers and everybody who is delivering health and social care. I have often said that there are five elements in its delivery — buildings, beds, equipment, medicine and the workforce — and that the first four do not add up to a hill of beans if you do not have a workforce that is properly trained, properly motivated and well rewarded. Again, that takes me to the disappointment of not being able to implement the real living wage last September, as I had wanted to do. I acknowledge that capacity pressures remain a significant concern across the HSC. Increasing acuity, rising demand and challenges in recruiting and retaining staff continue to place strain on teams. That impacts on the ability to deliver preventative work, which, of course, is what I want, and statutory safeguarding functions to the desired standards. Yes, we are far from where we need to be.
Mrs Dillon
I concur with all that was said by Sian Mulholland. It is complex and challenging, and social workers are dealing with many more cases than they should. There also cases that are unassigned, however, and there are safeguarding issues there. What reassurance can you give us, Minister, given the issues raised in the House in recent weeks, particularly around Muckamore, that the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults is not at risk?
Mr Nesbitt
There will be a considerable amount of work over the remainder of the mandate. We have the adult safeguarding Bill, which was paused to allow us to absorb the recommendations — as it turned out, the 106 recommendations — from the Muckamore Abbey Hospital report. I also made a commitment to a statutory duty of candour for organisations. Westminster is passing the Public Office (Accountability) Bill, commonly known as the "Hillsborough law". It places a statutory responsibility on organisations and officials, and it makes misleading the public a criminal offence. A lot of work is going on on patient and service-user safety. I assure the Member that, when I meet the leaders of the HSC tomorrow, I will make it absolutely explicit that, while there are huge pressures on balancing budgets and transforming shift left, for the remainder of my time as Minister the number-one priority will be patient safety.
Mr Chambers
Minister, I know that you fully agree that social workers perform an incredibly important and challenging role, especially those working in children's services. Will you provide an update on the number of such staff in post and how that has improved recently?
Mr Nesbitt
The children's social work workforce continues to experience significant pressures. However, there has been a modest increase in staffing over the past two years. In April 2024, there were 1,133·5 whole-time-equivalent band 5 to 7 social workers in post: as of April this year, that has increased to 1,199·8, which is an increase of 66·3 whole-time-equivalents. That is reflected across a number of health and social care trusts, although variation remains. Belfast increased from 215 to just over 263; Northern from 222 to 257; South Eastern from 226 to 229; Southern went from 210 to 192; and Western slightly decreased from 259·4 to 257·1. The figures demonstrate progress in increasing capacity in some areas, but pressures remain. I will continue to work with the trusts to strengthen recruitment and retention and work alongside wider reform efforts at reducing demand through earlier intervention and improved family support.