AQO 1434/22-27 Oral question to the Minister of Health

To ask the Minister of Health for an update on the review of GP indemnity.

Asked by Sian Mulholland MLA on 16 January 2025

  • Answered
  • Oral
Tabled
16 January 2025
Answer due by
27 January 2025
Answered
27 January 202511 days after tabling
Department
Department of Health
Priority question
No

Answer

I recognise that arrangements for clinical negligence indemnity are a matter of concern for GPs locally.

My Department has been exploring options for the long-term future of GP Indemnity and I recognise that the pace of progress in this work has taken longer than expected however, this reflects the complexity of the issue.

I had committed that this work would conclude with proposals for the long-term solution by the end of 2024. I am pleased to advise that, after careful consideration of a wide range of options, I have identified what I believe is the best, most appropriate option to address this key issue for the long term.

As part of the 2025/26 contract negotiations, my Department has met with the Northern Ireland General Practice Committee and provided details of the long-term proposal for GP indemnity. I am hopeful that we will soon be able to reach agreement on this important matter.

Official sources