AQO 323/22-27 Oral question to the Minister for Communities
To ask the Minister for Communities for an update on the research report, being carried out by a consortium of LGBT organisations, into the banning of conversion therapies.
Asked by Sian Mulholland MLA on 11 April 2024
- Answered
- Oral
- Tabled
- 11 April 2024
- Answer due by
- 23 April 2024
- Answered
- 23 April 202412 days after tabling
- Department
- Department for Communities
- Priority question
- No
Answer
The previous Minister agreed to provide funding to a consortium of organisations from the LGBT sector to work in partnership with academics from Ulster University and Queen’s University Belfast to carry out research into conversion practices in Northern Ireland.
I understand that the research project is near completion and will be published in the coming months. I will carefully consider the results of this research once available.
Considerable evidence and data have been gathered by my officials, in addition to this research; and close contact has been maintained with colleagues from other jurisdictions to learn from their experiences.
I am determined that all those who have an interest in this issue can have their views heard and further engagement with stakeholders will be required as the development of policy on this issue is progressed.
I will be engaging with my officials over the coming weeks to understand work completed to date and to consider the next steps.